By Bianca Ruiz
Ten years ago on May 2, 2008 Marvel Studios released the first “Iron Man” film, changing the way the public viewed superhero movies. This year, Marvel is celebrating their ten year anniversary and many accomplishments in the film industry.
Marvel Studios has come a long way from their first film not only technologically, but also in their script writing.
Many people watch the Marvel films not only for the action scenes that they so artistically craft, but also for the humor that the script writers use to place these films above most competitors. Previously, superhero films had not successfully mastered the combination of action and humor, tending more toward dark protagonists. Marvel’s ten years of consistent blockbusters illustrates they have nailed the genre.
Many beloved films have have branched out into their own series like “Iron Man,” “Thor,” “The Avengers,” “Guardian of the Galaxy,” and more. Marvel Studios was also the first to successfully incorporate individual films and series into a cohesive timeline with “The Avengers” films. Each of these films attract people from a variety of groups, making them go-to films for action, comedy, and interesting storylines.
As a way to celebrate their many milestones and ten years of producing films, Marvel will host the majority of their films in every AMC-IMAX theater in the USA. This 20-movie watching marathon will take place Labor Day weekend and will even include the franchise’s newer films (“Spider-man: Homecoming,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” and more).
Marvel is attempting to style this movie-binge in the manner of a Freeform Channel Harry Potter marathon, where they begin with the first film produced and immediately afterwards follow with the next film until the series is completed.
The films will be screened in order of release date, beginning with “Iron Man” and ending with two fan voted films. In September, there are also “theme days” that will focus on origin stories as well as Marvel team-ups. The final day of this marathon will feature a screening of two fan selected films.
Marvel movie fans excitedly wait for the opening of the marathon on August 30.
Tickets are on sale online for every AMC IMAX theater. Be sure to celebrate Marvel’s ten year film anniversary and buy enough popcorn and a jumbo ICEE for this eight day movie binge.
Here is also a list of the movies and the dates on which they will be playing:
- August 30: Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor
- August 31: Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World
- September 1: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
- September 2: Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming
- September 3: Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp
- September 4: (Origins) Iron Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Black Panther, Doctor Strange
- September 5: (Team-Ups) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers, The Avengers: Infinity War